Alec Walker

atc-discussion Use of CPDLC

Alec Walker

Hi All,

In general for Shanwick, and with CTP looming large, I would like to put forward a case for CPDLC.

I feel it is an often underused piece of equipment, especially if realism is your key. I have been using CPDLC where possible and I have found that although the majority of members know nothing about it, those that do love it and those that find out about it from me try it and like it. Historically, it has been a pain to use alongside Euroscope as it's been a separate program but I've been having a tinker with the Australian TAAATS mod and have got this working with Euroscope and the Shanwick sector file.

They key points for me with the TAAATS mod are CPDLC from directly within Euroscope and a use of ADS-C tracking fed directly into Euroscope. Again, this is an excellent realism tool, and I feel that if we offer it, people will start to use it more.

That being said, would people be interested in utilising my setup for TAAATS/SAATS? I have made some changes to the tags and screens, as those aircraft in the SAATS screen are way to big for my liking. I am also hoping that we can have an updated version of GOATS available soon as the developer has released the source code and Craig Phillips has agreed to assist in updating it. These two tools together make for an excellent representation of the Shanwick system!

Simon Kelsey

Alec,

It's a great idea in principle -- I think the big barrier to widespread uptake on the pilot side is the fact that Hoppie's ACARS client doesn't integrate that well with MSFS (or, perhaps I'm doing it wrong). At present the pilot has to install a separate piece of software which runs externally from MSFS and having, for instance, programmed up the FMC in the aircraft the pilot is then required to input all the same essential information in to the ACARS CDU and keep updating it as the flight progresses. It's all a bit of a faff.

However: if there is/can be widespread support for the Hoppie protocol (for want of a better term) across the ATC community then perhaps gradually there will be more of a demand from pilots for third-party aircraft developers to integrate it in to their models. At present, the argument from Aerosoft in particular is that they are waiting for the networks to develop their own ACARS protocols and once they are in place they will support them: I suppose if it can be decided/proven that the ACARS protocol of choice on VATSIM is the Hoppie system then they might be prepared to support it (and others may follow suit) but it's something which would require network-wide support.

Harry Sugden

Hi Alec,

If you're able to guide me through exactly what likes to be done (I'm generally best reading guides / being shown that just guessing! :D), then sure, I'd happily facilitate the use of CPDLC for any Oceanic controlling slots I am doing on Saturday.

Seeing GOATS in use I'm sure would please many - at the moment I believe we don't use it because the integration between controllers isn't tested to its extreme, widely recognised as standard practice... and change (which many don't like)! If some real development can be invested into it, then that would be another great asset to busy Oceanic positions, as I certainly enjoy using it when solo.

Edited by Harry Sugden

Bill Casey

Alec,

It's a great idea in principle -- I think the big barrier to widespread uptake on the pilot side is the fact that Hoppie's ACARS client doesn't integrate that well with MSFS (or, perhaps I'm doing it wrong). At present the pilot has to install a separate piece of software which runs externally from MSFS and having, for instance, programmed up the FMC in the aircraft the pilot is then required to input all the same essential information in to the ACARS CDU and keep updating it as the flight progresses. It's all a bit of a faff.

Extra work in order to fly on text? No thanks!

Alec Walker

Hi Harry,

I'm off work all week now, so let me know when you want, and I can set up a Teamviewer session and take you through it if you wish!

I will also try and put a guide together for general use as well!

And Mr Casey, your signature says it all! :P

Cheers,

Alec