Wygene Chong

atc-discussion Handoffs to Reykjavik

Wygene Chong

Good afternoon all,

I thought I should make a note here of the new Reykjavik guides released today, which adopt a variant of the real world transfer between Shanwick/Gander and Reykjavik Control. 

http://vatsim-scandinavia.org/pilots/airports/iceland/ >> Guide to Iceland >> Area Control >> Transfers

From Shanwick and Gander to Reykjavik
o Reykjavik to provide a squawk code to Shanwick/Gander by coordination.
o Pilot to change transponder and switch frequency to Reykjavik at the entry point.
o Reykjavik identifies aircraft at entry point when pilot calls up and assumes ATC tag.

Formal letters of agreement (LoA) take an enormous amount of work & time to produce so we have yet to begin negotiating those, however, our Reykjavik controllers will begin providing squawk codes to EGGX/CZQX for inbound traffic as per the above procedure. It should not dramatically affect the great work you guys do here, the onus will be on us to provide the squawk :) 

Sebastian Rekdal

I've heard that the transfer of communication will take place 1 degree prior to the AoR boundary (or at a specific point), while the transfer of control will take please at the AoR boundary, unless otherwise coordinated beforehand. I might be wrong, as it's quite difficult to provide such information to us virtual controllers :P

Ref.: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=idkA43KTD3U

Wygene Chong

That sounds about right Sebastian :) What we've done is have transfer of communication AND control at the AoR boundary, with the only additional step being Shanwick Radio passing on a squawk. For illustration:

• Pilot from EGLL to BIKF via Shanwick. On entry to EGGX, Shanwick provides OCL through to BIKF. No coordination of this is necessary unless there is a deviation from flight planned route/level/speed.
  • When pilot comes within range of Reykjavik visibility, BIRD_CTR assigns a squawk code in ES and provides this code to EGGX_FSS by private chat.
  • EGGX_FSS passes it on to the pilot: "BAW123, crossing 61N012W, squawk 4412 for Reykjavik"
  • After the final position report in Shanwick, EGGX_FSS tells pilot: "BAW123, at 61N012W, contact Reykjavik Control on 119.700."
  • Pilot will remain monitoring EGGX_FSS until the AoR boundary, then switch frequency and call up on BIRD_CTR with position.
  • BIRD_CTR will acknowledge and identify: "BAW123, Reykjavik Control, identified."

Sebastian Rekdal

Alright, I understand. Thanks for clarification, Wygene! I would like to mention a procedure established between ACC Scottish, ACC Reykjavik and Shanwick OACC: The provision of air traffic service at RATSU (61N010W) has been delegated by Shanwick to Reykjavik. Flights intending to enter NAT Oceanic airspace via RATSU (61N010W) should not call Shanwick for an Oceanic Clearance. The required Oceanic Clearance will be issued by Reykjavik Control. There are three points established at the boundary of delegated airspace from Scottish to Reykjavik, BESGA, DEVBI and BARKU on routes to RATSU. Reykjavik will issue Oceanic Clearances from those points. Aircraft that have not received their oceanic clearance prior to those points shall enter Reykjavik airspace at the domestic cleared flight level while awaiting such oceanic clearance.

Wygene Chong

No problem!

Re. the RATSU triangle, that is kind of in the existing LoA although I admit it could be clearer. However, as I'm sure you're aware, the C1 training for Iceland assumes that the RATSU triangle is part of Icelandic airspace and we frequently issue clearances via BESGA, DEVBI, BARKU to RATSU onwards, or indeed from RATSU itself onwards if EGPX_CTR is not online. In fact, on vRoute and in our sector map, BIRD_CTR is drawn as including the RATSU triangle with no indication that it is in fact delegated airspace.

Sebastian Rekdal

Lovely! Then we're on the same page ;)

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• James Brierley
      By James Brierley
      Dear all,
      I am pleased to announce we have made a new Stand Allocation Sheet.
      https://community.vatsim.uk/files/downloads/file/163-manchester-egcc-crib-sheet/
      With thanks to Leon Grant and Matthew Moy for their contribution in this - any questions, please don't hesitate to email us.
      Many thanks,
      James
    • James Gibson
      By James Gibson
      Please see information on LARS in the UK (particularly Farnborough LARS) in advance of the FIS Afternoon event but also because recently Farnborough LARS is opened much more frequently on the network. I am not a real world controller and so I do not claim to be 100%, but with my personal experiences as a pilot, I have tried to make this information as accurate as possible.
      What is a LARS (Lower Airspace Radar Service)?
      A Lower Airspace Radar Service (LARS) is a free service available to all aircraft for the provision of the radar element of UK Flight Information Services (UK FIS). This is usually available within approximately 30 nm of each participating Air Traffic Service (ATS) Unit to all aircraft flying outside controlled airspace up to FL100, within the limits of radar/radio cover. (ref. CAA website)
      Simply put:
      "Farnborough Radar" (LARS) provides non-radar (i.e. a basic service(VFR or IFR)) and radar services (e.g. traffic (VFR or IFR)/deconfliction (IFR only) services) outside of controlled airspace within the diagram Ben has posted above, usually up to about FL100. 
      Farnborough Radar is responsible for the EGLF (the aerodrome itself) and can provide a MATZ crossing clearance for RAF Odiham.
      General Information
      The ATS unit's callsign is "Farnborough Radar" and covers all three LARS sectors (W, N and E) in the south-east on VATSIM using the frequency 125.250 MHz. See diagram below:

1. PILOTS
      Passing VFR details:
      Pilots of aircraft inbound or outbound to an aerodrome, or which to obtain a flight information service, when instructed to pass their message details, should respond in the manner described as follows below.
      The first call should be: "Farnborough Radar, [CALLSIGN], request [BASIC/TRAFFIC] service."
      Then wait for a response: for example, "[CALLSIGN], Farnborough Radar, pass your message. "
      Generally, this format can be applied to visual flight rules (VFR) and instrument flight rules (IFR) aircraft.
      Aircraft Callsign and type Departure point and destination Present position Level/Altitude Additional details/Intention (e.g. flight rules, next route point) Request (What service are you requesting?) General Information
      The ATS unit's callsign is "Farnborough Radar" and covers all three LARS sectors (W, N and E) in the south-east on VATSIM using the frequency 125.250 MHz. See diagram below:

What is a basic service?

What is a traffic service?

What is a deconfliction service (IFR only)?

2. CONTROLLERS
      This is particularly aimed at all A/G, AFIS and tower positions that are controlling adjacent/beneath Farnborough Radar. 
      VFR aircraft do not need to be coordinated if they are to remain outside of controlled airspace and clear of any airspace that is not Farnborough's interest IFR aircraft should be coordinated The majority of uncoordinated aircraft should be handed off to the radar position as "Free-call" where details of the flight must be passed to the controller over R/T again by the pilot.  
      References:
      AIP (See textual information for information on LARS)
      CAP 413
      CAP 774
      LARS Frequencies

Recommended Read: Farnborough LARS Guide
      Any questions please do ask below (happy to discuss!) but I thought this may help and encourage pilots to start trying new things (which actually tend to be easier than your typical Airbus/Boeing flight)!
      I hope this helps.
      James
    • Harry Sugden
      By Harry Sugden
      Oooo, "cleared RNP approach runway 26L" soon come! 😎
      rnav to rnp.pdf
    • Sebastian Wheeler
      By Sebastian Wheeler
      Just a slight query related to the above:
      I was fortunate enough to partake in a weeks worth of work experience with NATS recently, and while at whitely on the ADC sims, I heard the following phraseology being used "G-ABCD, Cleared to enter controlled airspace via Route A, at or below altitude 2000 feet, QNH 1014."
      Upon asking one of the pseudo-pilots about the change, I was told it is "new phraseology" can anyone else confirm whether this is the case? Apparently, it was put in place after some confusion from pilots after receiving a "not above" clearance.
    • Steve Riley
      By Steve Riley
      Just reading the new sid charts , am I right in saying hand offs are going to LONDON or SCOTTISH  and not radar as no mention of Radar on the charts.
      2. After departure, aircraft shall remain on the Tower frequency until instructed. 3. En-route cruising levels will be issued after take-off by 'London Control'. 4. Report callsign, SID designator, current altitude and cleared level on first contact with 'London Control'.
      I have not got the old charts to confirm this as I take them straight from NATS web site. 
      Also frequencies have changed are we changing them within ES ?
        123.980, 131.005  BIRMINGHAM APPROACH/RADAR
        118.305  BIRMINGHAM TOWER
      121.805  BIRMINGHAM GROUND