• Similar Content

• James Yuen
      By James Yuen
      Much of this has been said in Slack, but that stuff gets deleted. So here's a post for 10 years time, when a significant proportion of us will be sitting on a real plane at real Heathrow and wondering what you were doing when you were 'young adults'.
      I was working a little bit with @Loui Ringer and @Ben Wright to get the event up and going. On behalf of all the pilots and controllers, thanks to them for making this work. It couldn't be done without them, from the banners to forum posts, rosters to briefings. Special mention to @George Barlow for making a plugin to assist with determining event traffic (which didn't end up working, but oh well - what does George?)
      Second mention is to @Gary Oliver and the AFV team. The new voice has saved us, needless to say, for events like this. Remembering back to the days of old voice - it would be hard to imagine such smooth transmissions and also: cross-coupling. It's a novelty, but having 4 different frequencies to handoff does come with a smug feeling.
      Next are to all the controllers and pilots for, well, 'volunteering their time' for the event to ensure it works. Whilst it may not seem like it, total up all the people connected to the network in the event and it is a few hundred people! A special mention to @Lee Roberts @Sebastian Rekdal @Adam Arkley for this top notch stream into LAM at the beginning of the event! General consensus was that most people found the event very successful and fun.

Two things I did notice during the event (both LL AD specific) - I was only on for a short period, but here are two things that I saw
      1. Aerodrome consistency: Some weird scratchpad notation being used across the board, as well as stuff not being cleared. Whilst area will coordinate/'yell' at the AIR deps controller, in the grand scheme of things it's not their normal duty to clear it. I know S1's will read this post. It's just about thinking how your actions are part of a massive spinning wheel and whilst you may not be controlling 20 planes across 200 square miles of airspace, your still part of the whole system that makes ATC work. Same with routings - a few obvious obvious mistakes, such as BPK to EGCC.
      2. Two-way split - AoR LL GMC: Many years back, I remember a post coming out to indicate that there would be a VATSIMism that two way splits on LL GMC are GMC 3 and GMC 2+1, instead of GMC 2 and GMC 3+1 (which is what is done in real life, I believe). I'd like to question if this is viable. At times yesterday, it made sense for the split to be done 2 and 3+1. Whilst traffic levels aren't specifically high in a specific area, GMC 2+1 would include both E and F intersection, where as a 2 and 3+1 split would divide the workload 50:50. Could GND controllers let us know your thoughts?
      I'll leave you with a link to some nice screenshots from @Daniel Crookes incase people don't scroll down on the forums: 

• David Gant
      By David Gant
      Taking part in a group VFR flight from Wales to Waterford yesterday I wasn't a prepared as I should have been about EISN procedure.  Mid-way across, SHANNON controller came online and requested we make contact.  Once asked to pass message, I was a bit stumped and presumed I needed to ask for a service.   With hindsight, I guess I should have just given my details (without asking for a service) and waited to receive the information.
      I can't find much procedural documentation for ATSOCAS FIRs - any suggestions welcome.  I hoped CAP774 would elaborate but doesn't cover r/t examples.
      Next time, should initial contact be along the lines of...
      [P] Shannon information, G-XXXX, radio check. [I] G-XXXX, Shannon information, hello. Pass your message. [P] G-XXXX, PA-28, en-route Haverfordwest to Wateford, 40mls East of Waterford, heading 280, altitude 2000ft QNH XXXX, VFR, estimate Waterford 20. [I] G-XXXX, Regional QNH XXXX, squawk XXXX [P] .... reads back .... Any comments welcome
      Dave

• Chris Pawley
      By Chris Pawley
      The Letter of Agreement between London and Amsterdam (Dutch vACC) is revised to take into account changes in AD3 at the end of 2018. It's available here.

Chris.
    • Patrick Tovany
      By Patrick Tovany
      Good morning all,
      I start to fly in network between France and England and I have some problems with the controllers, I explain
      I fly with P3D + airbus a320 aerosoft, my network software is Swift
      When I get in touch with a voice controller, he answers me in text, I don't understand why !!
      My microphone is working properly
      Do you have any ideas  ,
      Thank you for your answers
      Sincerely
    • Rhys Warner-Smith
      By Rhys Warner-Smith
      Happy 2020 everyone, I hope that it is all going swimmingly for you all. 😁
      So I have recently decided it is time for a little hardware upgrade and thus I appeal to my fellow ATC brethren for their advice. What microphone/headset do you use and do you recommend it? I'd quite like something sturdy and long-lasting if possible! 

Thanks for your help! 

Rhys