Craig Phillips

atc-software Virtual Controller Assistant (VCA) - New Euroscope Plugin

Adam Arkley

Craig,

Please check your logs for about 1900 today - I was controlling EGLL_N_APP, quite happily controlling away. Luke Brown logged on to take over from me, and I watched in horror, as everything that had been assigned by me, and read back to aircraft, was over written. I can confirm that Luke is using VCA.

Thanks,

Adam (and Luke).

Out of interest, Adam, were you using VCA?

Negative

Anthony Lawrence

Craig,

Please check your logs for about 1900 today - I was controlling EGLL_N_APP, quite happily controlling away. Luke Brown logged on to take over from me, and I watched in horror, as everything that had been assigned by me, and read back to aircraft, was over written. I can confirm that Luke is using VCA.

Thanks,

Adam (and Luke).

Negative

Therefore nothing will be in the logs as VCA knows nothing about you or your aircraft, hence why it went ahead and assigned squawks and thus squawks were just written, rather than overwritten.  I'm not saying that course of action is right or wrong, just that there isn't a need to review the logs as you won't feature in it.

Adam Arkley

Craig,

Thanks,

Adam (and Luke).

Negative

Therefore nothing will be in the logs as VCA knows nothing about you or your aircraft, hence why it went ahead and assigned squawks.  I'm not saying that course of action is right or wrong, just that reviewing the logs will shed no light on this situation.

I had hoped and expected that VCA, running on Luke's PC, would've identified that a squawk had already been assigned and consequently not done it. That didn't happen and I subsequently hope that the log will identify why it believed a squawk was not already assigned and needed to do so...

Anthony Lawrence

I had hoped and expected that VCA, running on Luke's PC, would've identified that a squawk had already been assigned and consequently not done it. That didn't happen and I subsequently hope that the log will identify why it believed a squawk was not already assigned and needed to do so...

The log simply records the actions - if you weren't using VCA it has no record of your aircraft or any squawks allocated to it by VCA, then the logic is simple:

- EGLL_1_APP is requesting a squawk for BAW557, has one been set by a VCA user?

- YES: Ignore, do nothing.

- NO: Ok, great let's set one.

I agree that the plugin should check whether there's one allocated to the aircraft before sending a request to the server, but it seems the small flaw in the design has now been identified, rather than it being an issue with VCA overwritten already allocated squawks within VCA.

Craig Phillips

Having double checked the code, VCA does check if the aircraft has been allocated a code OR is squawking a code other than 0200, 0000, 1200, 7000 before issuing a new code. However... I have found that due to network delays after connecting to the network that aircraft information (such as squawk and track information) are not sent from Euroscope to VCA; therefore VCA assumes a code hasn't been assigned and looks for a new code (because it happens too quickly)...

The only thing I could do would be to delay the assignments by 10 seconds after connecting to ensure all of the data is received by the client. 

The new euroscope is due soon, which will require a rewrite of the plugin; so I shall factor it in somehow :)

Regards

Craig

Oliver Parker

A new Euroscope? Will we still be able to use the old one or will that die?

Craig Phillips

A new Euroscope? Will we still be able to use the old one or will that die?

You should still be able to use the old one, I think you can even have 1 instance new and another old, but I'm not sure.

Neville Munro

Hi Craig,

Trying to set up VCA. Video excellent. The lead post appears to indicate a manual is availble, but on my screen the (probable) link is covered by the Video panel.

Is there a manual? If yes can I have the Link please.

Regards,

Neville

Sam White

It looks like the video is the manual:

Please visit [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XePfvHWGLq8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XePfvHWGLq8[/url] For video manual and listing of features 

Michal Fira

Hey Craig, any chance for the update for ES v3.2? 

Thanks,

Anthony Bayley

Hey Craig, any chance for the update for ES v3.2? 

Thanks,

That ^^ :P

Anthony

Craig Phillips

The Virtual Controller Assistant PlugIn for EuroScope is now released. This plugin supersedes the original UK Assistant plugin.

Please visit

For video manual and listing of features

Download available from http://www.craig-phillips.co.uk/esplugins/vca/VirtualControllerAssistant.zip

Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x86) - Is required from here

Many Thanks

Craig Phillips

Virtual Controller Assistant V2 for Euroscope 3.2 has been released.

Please visit 

For video manual and listing of features

Download available from http://www.craig-phillips.co.uk/esplugins/vca/VirtualControllerAssistantV2.zip

Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x86) - Is required from here

For people who still wish to use the old (unchanged) version of VCA for Euroscope 3.1, you can so from here

http://www.craig-phillips.co.uk/esplugins/vca/VirtualControllerAssistant.zip

Many Thanks

Craig Phillips

Edited by Craig Phillips

George Wright

Yahooo! Great work Craig, thanks!

Sam White

Thank you so much Craig!

For some reason when I move the count down clock or make any changes in the history trails dialogue, the next rime I start Euroscope my settings have been reset to what they were before I made the changes. Is this just me, or is anyone else getting this too?

Mark Cable

Hi Craig,

I downloaded the new file but when it is installed, in the plugin list it still says v1.0 is that correct?. I can confirm that the VCA.dll file in the plugin folder is dated 20/06/14 14:54 174Kb

regards, Mark