• Similar Content

• Anthony Vogelaar
      By Anthony Vogelaar
      Hi,
      I was away for a couple of years and I am happy to be back again. I was used to use unicom in text mode only. Now I noticed it is used for voice as well. When I depart VFR from a uncontrolled airfield ex EGPJ - Fife do I announce taxi, take off and leaving the circuit messages on unicom? And if everyone is doing so what is the range of my message and the range from receiving voice messages from others?
      Thanks, Anthony

• Robin Meads
      By Robin Meads
      When there is a mentoring session for TWR or APP, it is not obvious that controllers below are required to close so that the session can be fully top down. (Is this so in every case ?). I think that a proper closure procedure should be used, for example :
      AIR1 moves to GMC room on TS  - "AIR1 - GMC"
      GMC "Send message"
      AIR1 "Top Down mentoring. Please close"
      GMC "Standby for closure"
      GND voice on Euroscope "All stations. Manchester Ground now closing. For further ATC contact Tower on ... "
      GMC closes Atis if controlling it
      GMC disconnects Euroscope
      GMC "AIR1 - GMP"
      AIR1 "send message"
      GMC "GMC now closed. (You have Atis)"
      This is then repeated with GMP if online, but GMC first.  If App mentoring and Twr on line then start with Twr and work down.
      Also as a pilot, it is disconcerting to suddenly find that a controller I have been in contact is suddenly no longer on line. It would be helpful if all controllers would do an all stations broadcast that they are closing, even if they think no one is listening.

• Sebastian Rekdal
      By Sebastian Rekdal
      Dear all,
      This post is to announce that I am leaving my position as Enroute TG Instructor, effective October 1, 2020.
      After a period of consideration, I have decided to take a step back and direct my focus to my ongoing education.
      I would like to thank the VATSIM UK staff for the support and the opportunities they have provided me during the last year. I have truly enjoyed my tenure with VATSIM UK and the Training Department, and it has been incredibly rewarding to watch our S3s climb up the ladder and work extremely hard to become a C1. The passion, the effort, and the dedication in our students, and not to mention our mentors, is ineffable.
      A special thank you to the TG Enroute mentoring team. You have all been absolutely amazing. I could have never predicted, nor asked for, a better outcome than the one we’ve had. It has been a true pleasure to work with you, and your effort has been above and beyond any expectations!
      In short… being the Enroute TG Instructor has been an experience that I will forever be happy to have had!
      Although I am stepping down, do not think for a second that I will become a stranger. I do, after all, have a document and some diagrams to update every now and again😉 
    • Paul Albertz
      By Paul Albertz
      Hello everyone,
      I am still trying to learn the correct procedures for flying on VATSIM in the UK. I tried to find some information online but I could not figure out what exactly to do in the following scenario:
      Imagine you have planned an VFR flight in a Cessna 172. Conditions permit VFR flight and you file a VFR Flight plan. On your way to your destination the weather conditions get worse than expected and it would no longer be save to continue under VFR. 
      Let's assume, that you and the aircraft are capable of flying IFR. What can and what should you do?
      Is it possible to switch to IFR midflight? Should you file a new flight plan for that? What would the call to ATC look like, to request a change to IFR?

I have seen that in CAP 413 under 3.34/3.35 that a pilot can file an airborne flight plan, but I am not sure if that applies to the situation described above and if that is possible on VATSIM?

• Jonas Hey
      By Jonas Hey
      Hi all,
      Was controlling Scottish today for the APP exam and must of been no less than 10 pilots which could not tune 135.525, looking into it further all affected pilots were using Microsoft flight sim and told me that it set 135.524 in Vpilot?
      (Had to cross couple a different frequency and use that for MSFS pilots)
      Anyone have any ideas or know where to file in a bug report of some sort?
      Cheers,
      Jonas