Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Alexander Jefferies

atc-discussion
Exeter Scenery

11 posts in this topic

Hi Guys,

I've been taking a break from staring at a blank radar screen recently to design some scenery for Exeter. It is much needed, it wasn't until I started making it, that I realised how out-dated and inaccurate the UK2000 series version of Exeter was. It started out as a simple AFCAD modification but has slowly developed into a bit more.

At the moment, seeing as I only have access to FS2004 that is what it is being designed for, I will investigate the possibility of an FSX upgrade if/when I get a copy myself.

Here's a quick screenshot of the main apron, bear in mind that I've only been working on this since mid-last week, so it's still very much a WIP.

tescenery.jpg

And another shot; the aerial image I'm using as a base hasn't been sized properly so we're a bit off atm, I will attempt to sort this out before release as obviously having a turning circle out of place is a bit odd :D I may just substitute it for a grass texture all across the airfield, it will be alot easier to manage that way!

thresh.jpg

Alex

Ahh good to see Exeter being done, do you plan on making custom models or are you only doing the ground stuff??

Custom models are being worked on, there are a few pretty much ready (terminal building + a couple of hangars), but I want to get the ground sorted first before I start placing them.

Alex

Looking good Alex - means I won't have to keep updating my Exeter AFCAD for UK2000 VFR Airfields (like I've had to for Newquay) either, cause I'll be using your scenery (if you port to FSX :))

Hi Will,

I will eventually port it over to FSX, because I intend to upgrade at some point. Until then, it would be logistically difficult for me to port it because I would have to rely on other people to test it, and If I can't see the problems first hand I would find it difficult to sort them! :D

Alex

Definitely much needed! Starting to look good, can't wait until I get a copy of it myself.

Soon, Exeter will have it all;

Weird clearance procedures, weird approach procedures, weird radio terminology and now weird (but awesome) scenery!

Alex,

Did you ever get to finish this project ?

I have been using the stock FS9 since last rebuild so if there is anything you have usable, even an accurate ground plan, that would be very useful :thumbsup:

Regards

David

• Similar Content

• Jim Johnson
      By Jim Johnson
      It's the beginning of the year and time for another discussion? I have noted on a number of occasions the use of the 'ident method' and 'miles to touchdown' being used by numerous controllers. Watching recently, the controller of departing aircraft requested a 'squawk ident' from every departing aircraft (is this really necessary, but please consult CAP493 para 4. SSR sec1 ch6 before replying).The callsign and squawkcode of departing aircraft were clearly displayed.  I have no problem with having to ident aircraft, I generally use the departure  method, i.e. (checked callsign, squawk code and passing altitude)

Pilot
      Liverpool Radar, EZY345 altititude 2000ft climbing altitude 4000ft
      ATC
      EZY345 , Liverpool Radar, identified, climb now flight level 80.
      Pilot
      EZY345, climb flight level 80.

but I do have a problem with controllers asking for 'squawk ident' and at the same time giving an instruction i.e squawk ident, climb now FL.... I would have thought it was necessary to ident the aircraft before issuing any instructions? Secondly,  I have heard controllers giving mile to touchdown, sometimes they do and sometime they don't and sometimes difficult to understand why they do at times. I normally would give miles to touchdown at Liverpool for a CDA to 09 but over many years of flying I have never requested  miles to touchdown or required them when flying the normal approach although sometime they are given by ATC. Remember this is a discussion, if there is another  'authorized' source which can enlighten me, I will appreciate it and perhaps shorten  a discussion on  the two points I have raised.

• John Pettit
      By John Pettit
      Listening on TeamSpeak and reading forum comments after various "Overload" events has got me thinking.
      How about a UK-wide event that sees several UK airports fully manned, as well as the linking area controllers also being online. Instead of flights being booked into/out of a single main airport, multiple start point airports would be used. Flights would then criss-cross a network and multile sectors could be bookable. Thus several airports would have both arrivals and departures, but more importantly it would reduce excessive release and hold times. At present most events seem to revolve around a single core airport (or two, if EGLL and EGKK are used).
      I have never enjoyed being told that "there is a 30 minute delay on start-up, due traffic", and I suspect most pilots don't either. It's OK to be told to hold for 10 minutes, but anything more becomes tedious. I have spent too much of my life suffering long delays, both on the ground and in the air, so at present I'm afraid I don't usually take part in most events as a pilot, but will do, hopefully in the future as a controller. This is because when a controller, you are always involved in actual controlling at these events, whereas if there is an 'overload', as a pilot you spend a lot of time just as an observer.
      Just some idle thoughts on a Sunday evening, but who knows ........... 
    • Donald Leaton
      By Donald Leaton
      Recently departing from EGSS the weather indicated 310 deg @ 10 kts.  I prepared for a departure from runway 04 but was advised it should be runway 22.
      Making  this a tailwind and crosswind departure I would like to query why the decision for 22 was made ?
      thank you
      Donald.

• James Bayliss-de Gruchy
      By James Bayliss-de Gruchy
      Whilst there is no area to post traffic requests on the forum for the time being, I thought I would just make this one quickly so everyone can make requests for mentoring sessions. Like normal I guess just put the usually: 
      Date and time,
      Position 
      Any special requests 
    • Gregg Donohoe
      By Gregg Donohoe
      Use this post to give details on upcoming mentoring sessions within the RTS. If you're not doing anything else, why not fly in or out to help your fellow RTS Member!
      This should be completed by mentors only.
      Please keep to the following format and avoid using the topic for discussion.
      Date: Time: Position: Specific Requests: Additional Info: Once the session has been completed, it will be removed from the topic.