4. Lenny Colton

EGKK_APP | Wednesday 29th May | 18:30z

Good luck!
  5. Matthew Collier

All the best!!
  6. Arvid Hansson

atc-software Xsquawkbox

Swift is already approved and is being used widely by X-plane pilots on the network, see https://www.vatsim.net/documents/approved-software. I was hesitant to transition from XSquawkBox at first, mainly due to the remarkably overcomplicated UI, but when you get used to it it really makes XSB look like a steaming pile of manure.
  7. Maxwell Symons

atc-software Xsquawkbox

Thanks for the replies. I take it that until "Swift" is authorised for use it will be just VPilot for FSX, and XSquawkBox for X-Plane. Or are there any other pilot clients? (I'm mainly interested now in X-plane clients.) (Or if I can manage to install and get it running is Swift OK to use on VATSIM?)
  8. Robin Tannahill

atc-software Xsquawkbox

" I fly for an X-Plane specific VA and the opinion on Xsquawkbox is very favourable. It is simple, easy to use, stable, and gives you all the info you need (except radar) in a user friendly way. As for radar, you can have something like Vattastic or QTEScoop running in parallel. Swift, at this stage at least, is complicated to install, has TOO much information and is probably, in my opinion, more suited to a multi monitor setup. Xsquawkbox has been updated within the last year or so, but to be honest I am not sure about how it complies with the new CODEC, but if Vatsim says it will continue to be supported, I am assuming they have investigated this.
  9. Yesterday
  10. Andy Ford

atc-software Xsquawkbox

1. Yes, it means you won't be able to use them when connected to the VATSIM network once the new codec goes live. The "old" voice codec does not work alongside the new one, it's a complete replacement. So once it goes live, that's it. No case of "won't be able to get help or support", they simply won't work. 2. Anything not on that list is being upgraded to the new codec so will continue to be supported. At the end of the day, FSINN, Squawkbox and the others have long been abandoned by their authors. They are no longer maintained or updated and the authors for various reasons have decided not to share their source code with other members so that the project can be carried forward by the community. They are well within their rights to do this - VATSIM has approached them many times over the years, with no success. This is why VATSIM UK has sought to open source all of its software (with one exception, the CTS) so that in the event that a developer leaves, we have a whole community of others who can take up the mantle. Old, abandonware has plagued VATSIM for years and (in combination with other issues) has held back the technical development of the network for far too long. 10 years ago, I could totally understand holding onto old clients, especially those that supported old sims like FS9. But in this modern era where the vast majority of users no longer use them and they're no longer supported by their authors, there's just no reason to keep them besides nostaliga. It's long past the time that we cast off the old and move into the new, which means sacrifices have to be made.
  11. Maxwell Symons

atc-software Xsquawkbox

I must admit that I am rather worried by the list of pilot clients that will no longer be supported. To be honest though I was under the impression that there were only three pilot clients, namely: - 1) FSInn - in my opinion the best of the three. (Great functions - radar, ATC stations within range, mini control panel, etc.) 2) SquawkBox - very poor in comparison to FSInn, and as XSquawkBox for X-Plane is similar meant I couldn't really switch to X-Plane. (The "Paper Dart" was so appalling that I ditched this pilot client in a hurry!) 3) VPilot - in my opinion even worse than SquawkBox. (The only good point was that it didn't have that appalling "Paper Dart"!) So apparently we will be left with VPilot for FSX, and XSquawkBox for X-Plane both of which in my honest opinion are rubbish compared to FSInn. (Or have they been improved in the meantime?) I know that "Swift" is in development, but I know some very competant people are having problems installing and using it, so I probably stand no chance of installing and getting it to work! So I have a number of questions: - Does "not supported" mean that I'm not allowed to use them? (Or does it mean that I'll get no help/support/advice if I have problems?) Where did the others on the list of clients to be discontinued come from? Are there any others apart from VPilot that will still be allowed? Has XSquawkBox been improved over the years since I went back to the much better FSInn? (Even though that meant going back to FSX!) Is XSquawkBox (and Swift when fully developed and approved) the only X-Plane client(s)? - Or are there others?
  12. Andrew Macleod

atc-software Xsquawkbox

With all due respect to xSquakwBox the interface is horrendous compared to vPilot, If someone is able to make the UI easier and nicer looking like vPilot I would love you forever.
  13. Louie Lister

All the best my SP! Tower you have!
  14. Adam Turner

Best of luck!
  15. Nick Marinov

Good luck! LONS booked.
  16. Dean Benavidez

Good luck!
  17. Dear All There will be an exam on Wednesday 29th May beginning at 18:30z (7:30pm local). EGKK_APP Wednesday 29th May 18:30z (7:30pm local) A healthy number of IFR arrivals and a smattering of VFR malarkey will be key to helping ensure the exam is a success. A London and Tower controller will also be gratefully received. Good luck to the candidate! Barrie
  18. Glen Coyne

EX NDB Exeter Question

Strange, someone on Navigraph forum said it may be an airfield approach Locator beacon, but there are other Locator beacons present in Navigraph and Skyvector. Maybe Navigraph Charts gets its database from Skyvector, who knows, I have pointed the problem out now its over to them !! I asked the question here because of the very knowledgeable Vatsim members. Glen
  19. Robin Tannahill

atc-software Xsquawkbox

Thank you very much for your swift reply and the welcome news about continued support for Xsquawkbox!
  20. Alex Toff

atc-software Xsquawkbox

Hi Robin, As per https://blog.vatsim.net/public-beta-1-complete: So you should be fine!
  21. Robin Tannahill

atc-software Xsquawkbox

I came across the following on another forum this morning : "The Board of Governors recently voted unanimously to remove the following seldom-used clients from the approved clients list: The following pilot clients are apparently being removed from the approved application list Squawkbox Squawkbox747 Squawkbox for Fly! XConnect FSInn ASRC SPARC I have no date for the changes as yet" Can someone on this forum please confirm that Xsquawkbox will NOT be affected? This is by far the most popular on the ever more frequently used X-Plane and is more user friendly and generally easier to use than SWIFT which in my experience is considered by people who have tried it to be (so far at least) over complex and difficult to use without a multi monitor setup. Thanks, Robin
  22. Last week
  23. Trevor Hannant

EX NDB Exeter Question

Odd, it's still on the NATS charts...
  1. Load more activity